Top 10 Under 10
In recognition of the increasing blurriness between television, the Internet, and other new media, we asked the Flow community to send us their favorite under-ten-minute clips or viral videos of the past year. After all, how else might we accurately classify phenomena such as Tina Fey doing Sarah Palin, Beyonce’s “Single Ladies,” or Vince hawking the Slap-Chop? Certainly each has a traditional home on TV, but we’d wager that we can’t simply think of these as TV-only texts. We purposefully kept this category open-ended;we received a huge variety of responses. Below are the most popular, weirdest, or just plain funniest. It is significant to note that many of your responses had to do with the 2008 election, demonstrating just how effective certain practices of remediation are in shaping popular discourse. We split these into their own list in order to make room for those that might otherwise go without comment.
- “I’m Fucking Matt Damon”
- Nike “Leave Nothing – Fate,” Directed by David Fincher
- “Take On Me,” Literal Version
- “Western Spaghetti”
- “Toby y Sheila”
- Dr. Horrible’s Sing-a-Long Blog
Available at: http://drhorrible.com/index.html and on Hulu
- Bert & Ernie do “Ante Up”
- The Various Appearances of “Spaghetti Cat”
- Bill O’Reilly Freaks Out (and Dance Remix)
- Honorable Mentions:
- Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade gets Rick Roll’d
- Opening Credits for True Blood
Please feel free to comment.